The mission of The Emily is to professionally support writers and guide them toward a path to publication.
- No synopsis!
- Three judges for all entries. Lowest score dropped.
- Finalists go to two two publishing professionals: agent and editor.
- Multiple entries allowed.
- Open to published authors (not published in category for 3 years).
Important Dates and Fee:
- Entry Fee- members of WHRWA – $20.00, all others – $30.00.
- Open to Entries: September 1, 2012
- Deadline: September 30, 2012 (for the 2013 contest)
- Finalists announced: December 15, 2012
- Winners announced: February 9, 2013
- First 7,000 words, end on a hook, so less may be better. (We verify word count.)
- Times New Roman or Courier, 12 or 14 point size, 1″ margins. Double space.
- Headers must include title, category, and page number. See website for details on our eight categories. http://whrwa.com/emily/.
- Save your file in “rtf” file format.
**Do not include your name anywhere on the manuscript. This is mandatory.**
Enter Your Submission.
Step 1: Submit Your Entry. Access our website (http://whrwa.com/emily), click on the ENTER THE EMILY tab, and follow the directions. Create a separate entry for each submission.
Step 2: Confirmation. You’ll receive a confirmation email from our online entry system immediately plus an email with payment information.
Step 3: Payment.
PayPal, use the link we provide in our email to make you payment submission.
Check, mail your check to the WHRWA Treasurer:
West Houston RWA
c/o Jo Ann Robisheaux
5303 Eleventh St.
Katy, TX 77493
(Note: Include your entry number on the check’s memo line)
A Few Notes
- The Emily is open to published and unpublished writers. Unpublished authors may enter in any category not contracted in (book-length) by September 30, 2012. Published authors may enter in a category not published (book-length) in the past three years. Book-length = 40,000+ words. Published = Pan eligible.
- Each manuscript may be entered only ONCE; the same manuscript may not be entered in multiple categories. However, more than one manuscript may be entered in the contest in the same category.
- Maximum for the 2013 contest is 240 total entries.
- Every effort is made to have one published author judge each entry. Judges are encouraged to be generous with commenting.
- The lowest score will be dropped when determining finalists. Top three entries will be selected as finalists. If a tie occurs, entries will be sent to a discretionary judge.
- Final judging will be done by both an editor and an agent.
- Best-of-the-Best is determined by a bookseller from the winning 1st place entries.
- The decision of all judges is final.
Questions: Email the Emily Co-Chair via the Contact Form or at email@example.com